Thursday 4 February 2010

Bust a Move



A colleague recently convinced me to come along to her belly-dancing class and I have to say, I'm loving it.

OK, belly-dancing is a bit cliched, but once you look past its slightly kitchy image, it sexy and feminine. Even the smallest little movements can look so seductive if done right - a far cry from the 'bump and grind' culture across nightclubs in Ireland today.

On a night out, we all want a bit of attention from the buachailli, but nowadays, its hard to dance sexily without coming off like an extra from a low budget rap video.

I think the reality as well is that, Irish women, on the whole, are just a tad lacking in the natural rhythm department. So we either resort to a modest two-step, or totally over-compensate by throwing ourselves around the club and shimmying all over the place. I'm ashamed to say, after a few tequilas, I always fall into the latter category.

So how do we fix this? Easily, with even a six week dance class. You won't necessarily master the dance form in that time, but you'll master your own rhythm. As a recent convert, I'd thoroughly recommend belly-dancing, but for something more unusual you could try Bollywood. A friend swears by salsa for making her feel sexy, and burlesque is HOT right now (think Dita Von Teese). Just remember to adapt your new moves for general consumption in the club and possibly avoid the pole-dancing class - it'll go down well, but the bouncers may kick you out.

1 comment:

  1. My bump-and-grind moves work very well thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete